** CALL TO ORDER
** INVOCATION AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
** APPROVAL OF AGENDA
1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES - September 24, 2002
2. PERMITS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval.)
3. REPORT OF HARD CLAM AQUACULTURE TASK FORCE.
4. STEVE PALMER, #02-0689, requests authorization to retain an 11-foot long by 12-foot wide storage shed located at the channelward end of a private, non-commercial pier adjacent to his property situated along West Landing Creek in Mathews County. The project is protested by two (2) residents in the vicinity. Continued from the July 23rd Commission meeting.
5. NICHOLAS VANDERGRIFT, #02-1496. Commission review on appeal by the applicant of the September 11, 2002, decision by the Norfolk Wetlands Board to deny after-the-fact authorization to retain a brick and wrought iron fence within a coastal primary sand dune situated along the Chesapeake Bay in the City of Norfolk.
6. JOHN BELL, #02-1720, requests authorization to retain 75 linear feet of riprap revetment which has been constructed channelward of an existing timber bulkhead adjacent to the applicant's property situated along the Rappahannock River in Middlesex County.
7. ANN RICHARDSON, #02-1473, requests authorization to construct a 16-foot by 36-foot enclosed, private, noncommercial boathouse at the channelward end of a 70-foot private pier adjacent to her property along Meachim Creek in Middlesex County. The project is protested by an adjacent property owner.
8. TANGIER OIL COMPANY, #01-0588, requests authorization to retain a 12-foot by 7-foot gas shed, a 14-foot extension to the new fuel pier and to retain the old fuel pier which was to be removed along Mail Boat Harbor in the Town of Tangier.
9. U. S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS, #02-0523, requests a modification to their previously issued permit to allow for a four foot (4') overdredge tolerance for the entrance channel portion of the Rudee Inlet Federal Project Channel in Virginia Beach.
10. PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed amendment to Regulation 4 VAC 20-720-80.C., "Restrictions on Oyster Harvest."
11. PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed amendment to Regulation 4 VAC 20-430-20, "Marking Procedures for Drift and Anchor Gill Nets."
12. STRIPED BASS: Discussion of management program for 2003 coastal fishery. Request for public hearing.
13. BLACK SEA BASS: Discussion of management program for 2003. Request for Public Hearing.
14. PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD
** DATE OF NEXT COMMISSION MEETING: NOVEMBER 26, 2002
PAGE 2 ITEMS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval)
2A. W. F. MAGANN CORP., #02-0729, requests authorization to install 152 linear feet of bulkhead, fill 53,265 square feet of State-owned, submerged land, install three (3) 7-pile mooring dolphins, and dredge, by clamshell method, 5,107 cubic yards of State-owned subaqueous bottom from a 325-foot long by 150-foot wide area to achieve maximum depths of minus nine (-9) feet below mean low water adjacent to their property situated along the Western Branch of the Elizabeth River in the City of Portsmouth. Recommend a royalty of $3,480 for the filling of 1,740 square feet of State-owned land at $2.00 per square foot, and $2,298.15 for the dredging of 5,107 cubic yards at $0.45 per cubic yard.
2B. DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION AND RECREATION, #02-1475, requests authorization to dredge 14,000 cubic yards of subaqueous material from the mouth of Deep Creek to provide a 2,400-foot long by 50-foot wide channel possessing maximum depths of minus six and a half (-6.5) feet at mean low water and to install five (5) offshore breakwaters along a 1,250 section of shoreline adjacent to Belle Isle State Park in Lancaster County. The fine dredged material from the channel will be contained within geotextile tubes along the shoreline and the coarse dredged material will be used to cover the tubes and create a beach 75 to 150 feet wide behind the proposed breakwaters. The upper portions of the proposed beach will be planted with smooth cordgrass, saltmeadow hay and beach grass.
2C. DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY, #02-1623, requests authorization to construct two (2) mooring dolphins adjacent to Pier 10 in Little Creek Harbor at NAVPHIBASE Little Creek to stabilize the floating dry dock USS Dynamic in Virginia Beach.
2D. CHESTERFIELD COUNTY PARKS & RECREATION, #02-1294, requests authorization to relocate and channelize the Otterdale Branch, a tributary to Swift Creek Reservoir, by relocating the channel to a 6-foot by 12-foot corrugated pipe arch with an 8-inch thick concrete bottom as part of an extension of Mount Hermon Road in Chesterfield County.
2E. CARILION HEALTH SYSTEM, #02-1465, requests authorization to widen an existing bridge with the addition of a 100-foot long by 15-foot wide open-pile span over the Roanoke River in the City of Roanoke. Recommend standard instream conditions and a royalty of $1,500 for the encroachment over 1,500 square feet of State-owned bottom at a rate of $1.00 per square foot.
2F. BRANSCOME, INC., #02-1503, requests authorization to initially dredge, by clamshell method, 450 cubic yards of new material from a 600-foot long by 20-foot wide area and to maintenance dredge 600 cubic yards of material from a 200-foot long by 30-foot wide area, to achieve maximum depths of minus ten (-10) feet below mean low water adjacent to their property situated along the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River in the City of Chesapeake. Disposal will be on the upland. Recommend a royalty of $202.50 for the dredging of 450 cubic yards at a rate of $0.45 per cubic yard.
2G. CITY OF SALEM, #02-1669, requests authorization to install a 134 linear foot, 24-inch water main with concrete encasing under the Roanoke River in the City of Salem. Staff recommends standard instream construction conditions and a time-of-year restriction from March 15 - June 30 to protect the Roanoke Logperch.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE STEPHANIE MONTGOMERY (757-247-8088) NO LATER THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.