Occohannock Reef is located 4 nautical miles WNW of the entrance to Occohannock Creek, bayside of the Eastern Shore. The shape of the reef is a parallelogram defined by loran lines.
A yellow VMRC buoy designated "O", marks the reef and the center of a deployment of 1200 concrete tetrahedrons.
In December of 2004, 120 reef balls were purchased and deployed. In 2006, 2000 tons of concrete block and bridge pieces, donated by Bayshore Concrete, Inc., were deployed. The deployments were funded with saltwater fishing license revenue.
In December of 2011, approximately 1,800 tons of rock were deployed onto the Occohannock reef. The deployments were funded with a combination of federal Sport Fish Restoration (Wallop-Breaux) and saltwater fishing license funds.